The future of IT = Digital Transformation
You may be hearing a lot about digital transformation right now…but, what does it mean, and what could it mean for your business? Keep looking back at our blog as we unravel the mystery of Digital Transformation.
So, what is it?
In short, digital transformation means preparing your business to take advantage of the massive technology shift that is currently ongoing. It’s not too late…you can do it! This technology shift, sometimes called the 4th Industrial Revolution, is only in its infancy.
We’ve only just started?
It’s hard to believe that we’re just at the beginning of this revolution, considering how far technology has come in such a short amount of time. We’ve built access to incredible computing power, data storage, processing, and analysis. What comes next, the true transformation, is what we DO with all that power and data.
Before you get started, you need to take a step back, because you can’t make use of digital transformation if you aren’t ready for it. Being ready means that you need to have stable and secure infrastructure components. In the video below, IT Direct’s president, Ari Santiago, talks about the importance of ensuring that your infrastructure is stable.
Infrastructure components include:
- Endpoints – desktops, laptops, phones, tablets, etc.
- Network – servers, routers, wi-fi, hotspots, cloud-based services, broadband
- Data – files, emails, customer data, engagement data, spending habits, invoicing, etc. with the ability to aggregate and structure that data in logical ways
- Data and System Integrity – efficient, regular, and secure backup systems
- Security – ALL of the above must be secure – small businesses are being targeted more and more every day. This will not end, the risks are growing.
Once your infrastructure is ready, you’re still only half way there. You must have effective human processes that are supporting your IT so that your IT can support you. If your processes are poor, no amount of IT infrastructure can make them better.
Finally, your infrastructure and processes must be underlined by a business minded-approach to IT. What’s this you ask? Our next digital transformation blog post explains how the role of IT in business has changed over time, and how you must change your business approach to grow along with it.
If you’re interested in learning more about Digital Transformation and how it can improve your business, reach out to our team using the form below!